- There were some aspects that offensively I felt good about for the Mounties. But the final numbers seem to make it all pretty bad. And there were stretches in the game (3 in fact) where the Mount went prolonged periods without points.
- I thought Kelly Beidler had a nice game. Finished with 11 points and 8 rebounds. But he put the ball on the floor well and scored off the dribble. A nice effort.
- The Mount lost the battle on the boards 44-30 - and I thought that was the real difference in the basketballl game. Pitt had 17 offensive rebounds - and countless 2nd chance points.
- Getting Will Holland back - and Jacolby Wells and Raven Barber into the lineup is going to help this group. Holland made a pair of threes - and seemed to have a good long range touch, but missing the time seemed to affect him with some plays. Looks like it might take him a few more appearances to get the total feel back. I liked Wells when he was in the game. He had three rebounds in seven minutes. He is athletic and he must rebound for this team. I think he can really add something for them. Barber hasn't practiced all season, so I expected that we wouldn't see much of him. But getting a first look at him in the Blue and White was good. He got in there and immediately made things happen. He has the potential to be a real good one. It will be interesting to watch how he develops and how he is used as this season progresses.
- Jeremy Goode seemed more aggressive at times. He needs to be. He might not be a vocal leader. But he needs to be the heart and soul of this team. If he plays well, this team will play well.
- It is hard to watch Jean Cajou struggle offensively. He plays so hard that you want him to do well. But there is no doubt that he's fighting it right now. He did get himself to the foul line late and it seemed to get him going a bit. Hopefully, that carries over.
- Pitt is a good team. Not a great team. Not sure where they'll end up fitting in the Big East. I think there are definitely four teams better (Syracuse, Villanova, Connecticut and West Virginia) How they fit in with Georgetown (which lost at home to Old Dominion) Notre Dame, Seton Hall, St. John's and that middle group will be interesting to see.
- I liked Brad Wanamaker and the contribution he made for the Panthers. He'll definitely be needed to add something offensively. Because it seems that is where the Panthers have the most trouble. They don't have a go-to guy on the offense.
Saturday, December 19, 2009
Observations from the Mount/Pittsburgh game
The Mount fell for the fifth straight time dropping a 66-48 contest at Pittsburgh.