At the first TV timeout:* When did we turn into Duke? Has to be 50/50 in the crowd right now? Or maybe just no one is there?* Rutgers goes zone. Good luck with that.* Rutgers hot early, and it looks they want to run. * 8-6 SU, 15:43 to go 1st half, decent start, but we have to rebound better.
* Rosario misses a 3. That was a brave choice to go to Rutgers for him. Also seems like a stupid one.* Rutgers' big people can't catch or they would have had a couple of layups already.* A lot of our weaknesses have been hidden by good rebounding (especially at the defensive end), but it's been a struggle lately.* Johnson robbed of a bucket when he's called (incorrectly) for basket interference.* 15-8 SU, Rautins 5 straight points, Time out, Rutgers, 13:22 left 1st half. SU is tremendous getting points off turnovers, which works well against bad teams like tonight.* Rautins turnover, Ruthers points. He shouldn't be allowed to dribble more than twice. Ever.* 17-13 SU at the Under 12. Rutgers is game, three 3-pointers already, but I don't know if they're talented enough to keep up, especially if they're going to play zone.
* When Rutgers misses (and SU actually gets the rebound), they are made to pay with transition points.* Miller and Beatty (guards) have all 13 of Rutgers' points so far.* SU a little off, a few bad shots in the half court.* Dunk from Ndiaye, but it was kind of lucky, SU should have picked that ball off.* Another bad shot against the Rutgers zone, Rutgers hanging around. Don't like it.* Rautins hits another 3, he has 11. How do they leave him open? And why can't he do this every time we face a zone?* Mookie Jones is on the court? Why?* Honestly, SU not playing well in the slightest, but up 23-15 at the Under 8 TO. Ugly, ugly stuff.
* Pitt up 32-29 over UConn at the Civic Center (llok at the beautiful Whaler banners in the background).* West Virginia leads South Florida 32-30 at the half. Glad we don't have to go to Tampa this season, that could be tricky.* O-women trying to hang on against Rutgers, why is that game going on at the same time as this one?* Nice pass by Mookie, give him credit for that one, 25-15. Been a while since Rutgers has scored.* Too many turnovers again tonight, pushing it when we shouldn't, etc. Triche out after s stupid turnover.* One of the refs also refs in the NFL. That is impressive, like Bo Jackson.* Time out Rutgers after a trap in the corner, 27-18 SU with 5:04 left. Rutgers went full court press last time, we'll see if they stay with it.* Another run out layup for SU, Mookie scores. 29-18, but another turnover as Arinze charges.* Mookie from about 25 feet hits. Stares at someone, might be me, I might deserve it.* 32-18 SU at the Under 4. Rutgers just lost against the zone. Let's see if we can kill them off before halftime.
* Rutgers goes to some junk defense (triangle-and-2?) Might as well try something.* Rosario misses. He's 0-for-8. They say, "He's getting a lot of attention". Probably wouldn't get that attention somewhere else.* Jackson dunk. 36-18 SU.* Rim looks really small for Rutgers right now as you hear "Let's go Orange" with very few boos to drown them out.* Another turnover. Bleah.* Another Rautins turnover. Rutgers dunk. Well, in his defense, he didn't dribble that time.* Mookie hits another 3, but is answered by Rosario.* Uh oh, Jardine is hurt. Doesn't look too bad, but he hobbles off.* Triche takes an ill-advised shot.* Rutgers holds for 1 shot, turns it over instead and SU gets a transition layup with 1 second left. Ouch.* 41-23 SU at the half, and I'd like to say it was a vintage performance, but Rutgers is just that bad.
Back for the second half:* Rutgers still fired up, they come out in man and get an early bucket.* After a little resistance, SU runs off 6 straight points, 4 of them in transition, Rutgers has to use another TO and it's threatening to get ugly at the RAC.* Rutgers goes full-court pressure with some success. I worry mightily about that against Villanova, Louisville, and UConn. 50-31 SU at the Under 16.
* Letting Rutgers make a run here, and I don't like it. Within 16 after a Rosario 3. Another layup cuts it to 14, and the full-court press causes another turnover and another layup, 50-38 with 14:33 left. Timeout SU.* Rautins hits a big 3 in transition to make it 15, but somehow SU has turned it over 2 more times in the last 20 seconds. We just can't take care of the ball.* Rosario hits another 3 and he's on fire. Rosario again driving to the basket and it's a 10-point game. Another turnover and another layup, Rugers within 53-45. There's a lesson here somewhere. Actually a couple of lessons.* Luckily, Rautins is on fire, hits a 2, but SU is being outworked all over the floor. 55-45 at the Under 12, but we have ourselves a ballgame here.
* Rosario has 14 points in the 2nd half. Rautins has 18 in the game.* West Virginia has put away South Florida. Let's see if Syracuse can do the same here.* Mookie back in with some big minutes. Let's see.* Trap in the zone causes a turnover and Rautins to the line. Makes both.* Rutgers hits yet another 3 to cut it to 60-48. Times like this I wish we could pull something else, even for a possession.* Sorry, was distracted by Pitt beating UConn in Hartford 67-57, and Rutgers has hit back-to-back 3s to cut it to 63-54. Timeout SU with 8:20 left. Rutgers fans actually making noise now.* Rutgers has hit six 3s in the second half.* Arinze makes a free throw. That's news, and a big one. Got the second, too. 65-54. Layup for Rutgers at the other end.* Mookie is getting a long look because of Triche's struggles. Dunk for Johnson off a Jardine assist.* 67-56 SU at the Under 8 (6:27 to go). Rutgers ball when we come back,
*O-women put away Rutgers 79-66. Good for them, 15-1.* Distracted by a Cincinnati collapse at MSG in front of a couple of fans. Johnnies came from behind to grab a 52-50 lead with 7 seconds left.* SU forgets to box out, an easy 2 on the rebound, 67-58. * St. John's wins 52-50. Good for them, too.* Rosario tries a 30-footer and all he gets is a Jardine layup at the other end. 71-58 SU with 4:28 left. Can exhale a little. Timeout Rutgers.* Mookie still in there. Don't necessarily like bleeding the shot clock, but they find Arinze inside for 2. Rutgers answers with a layup.* 73-60 SU at the Under 4 (3:12). SU ball when we come back.
* Rautins takes a charge and falls to the ground hard, but looks OK.* Fans starting to stream out of the RAC as the SU fans get loud again.* Mookie buries a 3 as the shot clock expires. Shut me up tonight, I'll tell you that. Long 3 from Beatty, 76-63 SU with 1:25 left, TO Rutgers, their last one.* Rutgers fouls Rautins, 2 shots, and he misses first. He's 64% at the line this season. That's pathetic, really is.* SU finished off an 81-65 win to go to 15-1. They'll have to play a lot better Saturday, though, to get a victory. Rutgers is just not good. When do they play DePaul?* Off to Wisconsin/Northwestern.