Day 17 of the interim period between Milan Brown's tenure as Mt. St. Mary's basketball coach and the naming of the Mount's next head basketball coach. Here at The Fan Blog we're still waiting, patiently we might add, to find out who the new coach will be.
Former Mount signee Donte Morales is no longer waiting. He committed to UNCW over the weekend. BG has the scoop over at Mount U. Very disappointing, I was really looking forward to seeing Morales in the Blue and White. And I wish he would have waited to commit until after the new coach was chosen and he had the opportunity to speak with the new staff. A commitment is non-binding -- so maybe there is some hope - but it doesn't sound like this is going to end well.
Some things we've heard that may or may not be new news....
- The search is still ongoing. There is at least one interview scheduled for this week.
- It sounds like some people involved in the process want a fresh approach
- Someone from Duke has inquired, I'm guessing Wojo - and might very well be part of the equation.
- Rob Moxley's name seemed to be one of the hotter ones I heard this weekend. Moxley was a former Maryland assistant who was the Associate Head Coach at Charlotte this past year.
- There still seems to be a lot of buzz about the possibility of Kurt Kanaskie
- The name Martin Ingelsby won't go away either. The Notre Dame assistant has a lot of backers.
- I wouldn't expect any announcement until tomorrow (Tuesday) at the earliest
The other big news of the day is that it sounds like Rutgers and Mike Rice are getting very close to a deal that would make Rice the Knights Head Coach. That would leave another vacancy in the NEC. The folks at Colonials Corner are asking for assistant Tim Toole to be named the head coach if in fact Rice does leave. I've said all along this is the job Rice was waiting for.